“Highland Park is a community of faith continually being FORMED by the unchanging word of God, ENGAGING in the worship of God, PURSUING the mission of God by the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.”
This statement communicates our Identity – It’s an expression of who we are.
But the reality is, we fall short of perfection. We are a community that desires to “excel still more” in each of these areas. So, it also informs our Vision – It’s an expression of who we hope to be.
Five Key Ideas
Our Identity and Vision contains five key ideas that express the essence of who we are and who we hope to be. Each of those five ideas are communicated a bit more fully below:
1. Community of Faith – Highland Park is not a building, a location, or a set of rules and regulations. Rather, as a church, we are a community of faith made up of diverse people who are united by love for God and love for one another. As a community, we worship together, study God’s word together, pray together, serve together, and reach the world together. We share joy and pain. We embrace a deep sense of accountability and desire to encourage one another as we try to live for the glory of God.
(1 Peter 2:4; 1 Corinthians 12:12-27; Ephesians 4:1-3, 13-16; Galatians 6:1-2; Hebrews 10:23-25)
2. Formed by the Word of God – The word of God, the Bible, is the ultimate authority for the life and practice of Highland Park. All that we do is measured and tested by faithfulness to God’s word. The word of God calls us to respond in faith. It has formed our very identity and is continually shaping us as individuals and as a church.
(2 Timothy 3:14-17; 2 Peter 1:20-21; Romans 10:17; 1 Peter 1:23-25; Romans 12:1-2)
*For a fuller explanation of our convictions about the word of God and what it teaches that we believe, please visit our Beliefs page.
3. Engaging in the Worship of God – All of life is an act of worship for the followers of Jesus Christ. However, as a community of faith we place a high priority on gathering together in one assembly for the purpose of corporate worship. In worship, we are responding to the greatness of God as we sing His praises, preach His word, and pray for His will to be done.
(Psalm 7:17; Colossians 3:16; 2 Timothy 4:1-5; James 5:13)
4. Pursuing the Mission of God – All followers of Jesus Christ are on mission for God. Jesus defined our mission when he said, “Make disciples of all the nations.” Pursuing this mission means that we are actively telling others about the love of Jesus Christ, selflessly serving those in need, and sacrificially giving of all our resources so that others might know God through faith in Jesus Christ.
(Psalm 96:2-6; Matthew 4:19; Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; John 13:35; 2 Corinthians 9:10-12)
5. By the Power of The Gospel of Jesus Christ – The gospel of Jesus Christ is the message about God’s work of saving people from sin, death, and hell through his Son Jesus Christ. The gospel of Jesus Christ is the only true message of salvation because Jesus is the only true Savior. The message of the gospel informs and empowers every aspect of our lives as individuals and as a community of faith.
(Romans 1:16, 2:16; 1 Corinthians 4:13, 15:1-4; Galatians 1:8-11; Colossians 1:4-6)
*For a fuller explanation of the message of the gospel of Jesus Christ, please visit our Gospel page.